Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thing 2!

Thing 2--finding out about my device

I did read through the manual of my device and learned a few tricks of the trade.  But the format is pretty dry.  I followed the idea given with the task of doing an internet search by device and adding tips and tricks.  This pretty much got me the Nook User's guide so I modified my search to NOOK HD, tips and tricks from users. This brought up a lot more options and I spent a fun afternoon following peoples advice.

1st tip--told me how to get rid of unwanted items on the big active shelf of the home page.  By going to All Settings>Applications>Home I was then able to get rid of the unused items and customize the active shelf for my use.   Side benefit was then I actually looked at other items in All Settings and figured out why I wasn't being able to make the print as big as I wanted it.  The default setting had blocked out the extra large sizes that I prefer for late night reading.

Next tips came from the Nook HD for dummies site, I clicked on all of the topics and found many useful hints there.  After reading through these I decided to tackle setting up different profiles on my device.

On a day to day basis I am the only user on my device so security isn't always a concern.  However I worry every time I let my visiting 10 year old nephew play games on it.  Those update flashes are pretty tempting to a kid and I don't want his use to cost me money.  So I followed the tips and set up a kid profile for him.  Now he doesn't have those options to shop.  I also locked down the device so that any purchases require a password before they can be authorized.  I used to take my credit card number off my account but with trying to do 23 mobile things I wanted to keep it active to purchase any apps I might want.

On to Thing 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment